Listen to this blog post below
A corporate traveler must evaluate how well-poised they are to ward off cyberattacks. Accordingly, they can adopt measures to ensure better security during their journeys.
Corporate cybersecurity is a critical concern for businesses to secure their information resources. Business travelers are among the most vulnerable in the face of menacing threats from malicious actors. Professionals frequently venturing outside the secure confines of their office premises and secure IT infrastructure should prioritize business travel awareness.
Here is a close look into why business travelers must cultivate corporate cybersecurity best principles.
Importance of Cybersecurity for Business Travelers
Before exploring effective strategies to remain secure while traveling, it’s helpful to understand the importance of cybersecurity for business travelers.
1. Staying Connected with the Organization
For global businesses, the importance of communication cannot be overemphasized. Business travelers must remain connected with their teams for seamless operation and to ensure greater productivity. However, this also exposes them to risks like data breaches through unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Threat actors tend to exploit these vulnerabilities, leading to compromised business data.
Therefore, employees need to take guard against connecting to insecure systems. A small mistake on their part can lead to significant data breaches, and the consequences can be devastating. Sectors like banking, healthcare, and infrastructure especially need to cultivate business travel awareness among their employees.
Image sourced from artemissg.com
2. Confidential Data
Executive travelers often have access to sensitive business information. Depending on the sector, it can be trade secrets, business data, or intellectual property. Malicious players frequently target these professionals, which explains why business leaders should prioritize corporate cybersecurity awareness beyond their institutional confines.
For instance, corporate travelers need robust authentication methods like biometric authentication and device encryption. It can protect sensitive information even if their devices are compromised.
3. Job Risks
Business travelers are liable for securing their organization’s data during their journeys. Any data breach might jeopardize their jobs. Hence, using a secure VPN is vital to mitigate this risk. While accessing international corporate events abroad, proper security mechanisms can prevent unauthorized access to intellectual property.
4. Vulnerability to Identity Theft
Identity theft continues to be a significant cybersecurity risk. Online adversaries deploy social engineering tactics like phishing to access personal information. Business travelers must secure their data using strong passwords and employ MFA. Also, it is imperative to install reliable antivirus software on their devices.
How Can Corporate Travelers Secure Their Systems?
As a part of corporate cybersecurity, business travelers should adopt necessary measures to prevent their data from falling into the wrong hands.
Here are some recommendations for cultivating better business travel awareness.
- Secure endpoint devices: While traveling, corporate professionals must lock their laptops, smartphones, and tablets with secure methods. Enabling device authentication through fingerprints and PIN codes can prevent unauthorized access.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi: Malicious actors often target victims connected to public Wi-Fi networks. These networks are primarily insecure and susceptible to compromise. Corporate travelers should refrain from using free Wi-Fi and connect only to secure networks.
- Use public information systems cautiously: Insecure public computer systems can lead to credential theft. Therefore, travelers should refrain from accessing these systems for professional activities.
- Use VPNs: Using VPN while accessing business data ensures encrypted communication. This way, corporate professionals can securely access the internet on the go.
- Install updates: One of the best strategies to ensure corporate cybersecurity while traveling is to update your software and systems. The latest versions can patch security loopholes and address known vulnerabilities.
Understanding the importance of cybersecurity can significantly reduce the risk of cyber-attacks for business travelers. Proper awareness can help them secure their corporate information and remain productive while engaging in professional pursuits. With adequate business travel awareness, employees can maintain robust protection from phishing within and outside the organization.