How to Tell if You’re Under a Spear Phishing Attack
Cybercriminals are always chasing after your sensitive information, as well as that of your organization, so you must do everything you can to prevent it from leaking.
But how can you tell if your efforts are working? What if they’re not?
Signs you’re getting spear phished
Here are some things to look out for when determining whether or not someone’s trying to spear phish you:
- Suspicious emails from people you know: You’ve received emails from people you know, but the tone may seem strange. Are they asking you for something out of the ordinary? Are they using syntax they don’t normally use? If so, you’re probably getting spear phished. Know the difference between spear phishing vs phishing.
- Emails from trusted brands that seem off: It may seem like you’re getting an email from a vendor you work with, but maybe the logo looks slightly wrong. Also, when you hover your cursor over the link in the email, it shows up as some strange site. This is a huge red flag.
- The site you’re visiting isn’t secure: If the padlock next to the URL is unlocked or yellow/red, it may be a spoofed website. Exit out of it and type in the domain name you wish to visit to ensure it’s actually the site you want.
What you should do if you’re under a spear phishing attack
If you suspect you’ve been spear phished, let your company’s security officer know. That way, they can inform the entire office, and everyone can be on alert.
MORE : Spear Phishing Examples
Next, change the password on the compromised account. If you use the same password (or similar ones) on other websites, change those too. You can never be too careful.
If you’ve given out sensitive information such as your credit card and bank account numbers, cancel your cards and contact your bank so they can help safeguard your finances.
If needed, put a fraud alert on your credit report. In the next few months or even the following year, keep a close eye on your statements. If there are any discrepancies, let the credit bureau know immediately.
Deter cybercriminals with anti-phishing software
Protect yourself and your organization from future spear phishing attacks by implementing spear phishing prevention software as well as following phishing prevention best practices. This can prevent phishing emails from reaching your inbox in the first place. Not only that, but it can also do real-time security scans on your internet surfing.
By investing in anti-phishing software for your workplace, you’re investing in your company’s future. Add an extra layer to the security provided by your antivirus program and deter cybercriminals from attacking.
Enterprise-class email protection without the enterprise price
For flexible per-user pricing, PhishProtection’s integrated email security solution protects your employees from business email compromise (BEC) and many other email threats. 24×7. On any device. With features you’d expect in more expensive solutions:
All Plans Come With
- Stops business email compromise (BEC)
- Stops brand forgery emails
- Stop threatening emails before they reach the inbox
- Continuous link checking
- Real-time website scanning
- Real time alerts to users and administrators
- Protection with settings you control
- Protection against zero day vulnerabilities
- Complete situational awareness from web-based console
Join 7500+ Organizations that use Phish Protection
Phish Protection works with System Administrators, IT Professionals and IT Executives in thousands of companies worldwide. Sign up and protect your organization from phishing attacks in less than 5 minutes